Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cooking and Yummy Treats


Let me just say, Travis is an excellent cook!! He lived with his dad growing up, and if he wanted to eat something besides cream of mushroom soup or frozen burritos, then he had to make it himself. So, needless to say he started cooking when he was quite young (like 8 or something!) Due to his years of experience, he is just a natural in the kitchen. Half of the time he doesn't even follow a recipe, he just whips up yummy yummy things on his own. AND....he likes to cook!!

Now, lets talk about me...
My mom taught us how to make cookies and things growing up, and when we were older we had a night that we were in charge of fixing dinner. So, when Travis and I got married, I was confident enough that I would be able to feed my new little family. I knew that I was by no means a chef, but I was adequate. And I did enjoy cooking.

Well, in the 5 years that we have been married, the majority of the time I wimped out and just let Travis cook. I cooked here and there, but Travis was the real "cook" of the house. I fought with feelings of inadequacy, but also just knew that if I wasn't in the mood, that he would take care of it. He is incredible!!

The past couple of weeks I have decided to "step up to the plate" and start being the one to cook the majority of the time. With things that I feel unsure about cooking or that Travis could do WAY better, I just have him teach me. And, it has been great!! I have really enjoyed it, and have felt like I have more worth as a wife and mother.

So, now to the "yummy treats" part of the title, fall is definitely in full swing around here, and with it has brought the desire to make yummy treats. I heard a friend talking about how good her caramel apples turned out, and decided that that would be a fun treat to learn to make. So I did!! And they turned out oh so good!



I also decided to make cake pops, which turned out pretty yummy as well!!!

1 comment:

Leslie Godfrey said...

Oh man! I'm dying for one of those apples right now! We had some yummy ones delivered to work the other day and ever since then I've been craving them.. And yours look every bit as good!