Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Flying

It has been exactly two years since Travis lost his job flying a helicopter, but he is finally going to get back into a helicopter!! Thanks to our cute little tax credits we are getting a good refund which will pay for Travis to get more helicopter training and become a CFII (Certified Flight Instructor for Intruments). In Florida he was working as a CFI, which is a Certified Flight Instructor, basically he just taught people how to fly. Now after he goes through the training he will be teaching people how to fly using the instrument panel in the cockpit of the helicopter without seeing outside. Anyways we are both really excited for him to start flying again, and will hopefully be able to find a job teaching again, shortly after he finishes his training. A CFII is a lot more sought after person, than just a CFI, so it will definitely help his resume! We went and got the paperwork for him to get all signed up as a student again, so hopefully he will be starting in the next couple of weeks.

Now for a different topic, we are trying to implement a schedule for Parker to get him ready for pre-school next year. My mom works at the pre-school and tells me stories about kids that aren't used to structure and have a hard time adjusting. Up 'til now Parker has definitely not been used to structure, and would literally watch movies all day long if I let him. So his new schedule goes like this:

Wake Up
Watch Cartoons
Eat Breakfast
Brush Teeth
Get Dressed
Computer Time
Art/Craft Time
Story Time
Lunch
Movie
Quiet Time
Play Time
Clean Up
Dinner
Bath
Bedtime

I printed up cards for all of these and then laminated them and put a magnet on them so that I can put them in order on the side of our fridge. Then he can take them off as he finished them and can see what comes next. Yesterday was the first day that we tried it, and it went pretty well until the evening. (Travis is on the night shift right now, and I was having a rough night last night, and didn't care about the schedule so much!) Today has been ok, but not as good as yesterday was. It will probably take awhile for him to get used to it, and for me to get used to it as well! Hopefully once we get this established, he will be ready to be potty trained!!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I'm impressed with your schedule! It's so great that you have a plan - that's a big part of the battle for me when I'm trying to get myself used to something new. Such good ideas I want to remember for future reference :)

And I'm so happy for Travis to be able to fly again! Such exciting news!