Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Attitude.....

...It's a choice!! I've always known this, but have too often chosen to have a bad attitude about difficult situations. The last few weeks in particular I have not been good attitude weeks! I haven't felt very well, and I've been feeling the pressure of life and Travis being deployed in particular. But I was reminded that I have the choice to have a good attitude recently and have re-committed myself to have a better attitude and to be more plesant to be around when I'm stressed! One area of my life that I needed an attitude adjustment in was with our little cousins that I babysit. The majority of the time they would drive me crazy or just annoy me, and so I was grouchy with them. Travis has told me countless times "they are just kids", but I let them get to me and chose to have a bad attitude towards them. Monday I decided to try and change my attitude towards them. I knew it would be hard, because sometimes our attitudes become habits whether good or bad, and I was in the habit of having a bad attitude when they were around. Anyways, Travis told me to try and just "kill 'em with kindness" so that is what I have been trying to do. I haven't even done anything major, but I have changed the way I talk to them and have just tried to be extra nice. And it hasn't even been hard like I thought it would! Do you want to know what is really sad, Trent, who is one of our cousins that I watch, said "Wow, you're being really nice today." And all that I did was say hi and ask how their day was, and then offered them a snack right away. That was kind of a reality check for me, obviously I had been the wicked witch and that is what they expected from me. HOW SAD IS THAT!! I don't want to be the wicked witch in anybody's eyes, so I am going to try really hard not to be. I am on day three with the kids, and each day at least one of the kids has commented about my good mood or how nice I've been. Then this morning Trent gave me a $1 coin, and said that it was just to say 'Thank you'!! How sweet is that! It is wonderful! I like being the nice one! (Not only because of the gift either!!) And the best part is they are acting better, and I can handle them so much better. All because I made the choice to change my attitude!!!! So, if anyone is struggling with having a bad attitude about something, I challenge you to just try it. Make the choice to change your attitude, you will notice a change within a week, I promise!!

No comments: